The Morning After

Twenty four hours ago, I was getting frustrated in the shower because I couldn't shave a certain spot on my leg. Today, I feel like time is not moving and I have been awake since seven in the morning. The morning after graduation is slow and unmoving. My hair is still curled and brows still done. It is so odd that yesterday, the door to the world was open and through it I heard the loudness, saw the busyness, and felt the overwhelming feeling of hope. Today that same day is shut and locked, my clock is broken, and the silence is louder than the noise from yesterday. It is a jarring feeling compared to yesterday's festivities, making me feel lost of all that hope. Every year, I have always expected to go to school, and know exactly what classes I'd be taking, who I would see. Now I have none of that sense of security. Yes, I know what school I'm going to, what I plan on studying, but that means nothing. For thirteen years the government has ensured I am educated and teachers, counselors, and peers have pushed for me to be successful, now me and all my fellow graduates must push ourselves alone. We have, of course, had to do this before, but this is the start of doing it for life. We are not in solitary, mentally readying ourselves to receive help again; we are in solitary and we must ready ourselves to help ourselves. It's a smack in the face, but one we can take. It's a screeching halt, but we're wearing our seatbelts. The summer is just full of unexpectedness for now, and it is slow, so unbelievably slow. And it's only the morning after! As I and my fellow graduates move into the "ADULT" chapter of our life, we must remember the solitude and lagging of this summer when times get loud and rushed. Be grateful for the hurried loudness because the resistance of it is far more rewarding than the dragging quiet. Relax, travel, make do of fun, and enjoy this. Because come fall, you will have no time to try and do so, NO MATTER YOUR CHOICE. Jobs, colleges, trades: they will all require the most of you, and you may not have the options later that you will this summer. Adult life is hard, and I know this because of every adult example in my life. I hope I am able to overcome this season of gloom, uncertainty, and hope with only the hope. I got through thirteen years of coddling to prepare me for a lifetime of strength. I am grateful I got here as I had times where I truly could not see my future to this point. To my class, I hope your summer is fruitful and eventful. I will see you whenever I do. This morning after is tiring, gloomy, and dull, but don't forget that there is a morning after for the morning after. You are promised to understand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Descriptive poem, by Christina Woodson, no use of this work permitted without written consent

Whitman Answered The Call, by Christina Woodson, no use of this work permitted without written consent

What Impact Does Immigration Have on the Psyche of Select Latin Groups Focusing on the Chicano Select Group